Jules et Jim (1962)

July 02, 2010

"They could have been beautiful"
"The yearnings of two hearts create such heavenly pain"

This morning I woke up thinking about the movie I had watched last night, Jules et Jim. It's my new favorite.

If the movie that I watch tonight is any good, it will also be my new favorite. It will not push aside Jules et Jim.. it will just squeeze in beside it at first place. My favorite film is 1000 films.


I have about three of four go-to movies when people ask my favorite (on a recent tumblr post I answered Sunday in New York, Hot Enough for June, Sullivan's Travels and Le Notti Bianche) but really those few movies are tied with hundreds more.

My favorite films stick with me. My love for Jules et Jim will not fade when a movie I watch next week hits me like a ton of bricks. Like all of my favorites, Jules et Jim will stick with me forever. But even if you are the kind of person with only two favorites, or ten... if you watch Jules et Jim I guarantee you will count it among them.

Jules et Jim is the story of two men -- one German, one French -- who remain best friends during the Great War and when one friend loves the other's wife. It is a breathtaking film; absolutely beautiful and wistful. It stars Jeanne Moreau and one of my new favorite actors, (not pushing anyone aside, just saying "hello" and keeping all the others company) Oskar Werner.

It's not really the kind of film you can describe (or at least not the kind I can describe) so I recommend just watching it to see what I mean when I say that once you see it you will never forget it.

*The artwork is acrylic & mixed media*

8 comments:

Millie said...

Great post...

AND GORGEOUS ARTWORK!

Matthew Coniam said...

I liked rather than loved the film... but such fantastic artwork! So effective.

vivienne strauss said...

I'm so glad you loved this film, it has been a favorite of mine for at least 20 years. I had a weird moment the other day, I was running in from checking the mail (it started raining) and for just a moment I was Jeanne Moreau running across that bridge. I told you it was a weird moment...

Clara Fercovic said...

Hi Kate, I’m celebrating my post #100 and I’m going to upload a special-classic-actor-related-thing if someone answers correctly the question I posted. Wanna participate?
Click here

Ray said...

When it comes to French movies I find it hard to decide which is better - Jules et Jim or Un Homme et Une Femme.
But then these movies were of an age that produced the likes of Moreau, Deneuve and Bardot.

Margaret Benbow said...

Yes, the moment when Catherine sings the song is magical. It's such a bold movie and keeps taking us further! I couldn't believe it when mysterious Catherine kept her love with her forever by--killing him in that fatal plunge from the bridge. Then the scene in the crematorium--throughout, a series of astonishments.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Great artwork. Jules et Jim is my favourite Truffaut film of all time. It simply fantastic. And as you said, it isn't easy to describe!

Lolita of the Classics said...

I love the Oscar Werner artwork! You're so talented. The movie is fantastic, Le Tourbillon! THANK YOU for making the song available, I've wanted it since I first saw the film! You're an angel, Kate G!